Frequently Asked Questions
Changes in ownership or owner status for land and mineral rights require updated title records. Owners should ensure they have the appropriate documentation, which is outlined in the table below for each type of change. Note, requirements may vary depending on the jurisdiction.
In addressing any ownership change situation, please note the following:
- All payees are required to evidence a valid Social Security or tax identification number by IRS Form W-9, or federal law requires 28% of payment to be withheld in accordance with Section 3406 of the Internal Revenue Service, which will not be refundable by BXP, LTD. If you need additional guidance on how to fill out a W-9 form, please refer to the IRS website at www.irs.gov/w9. W-9 forms can be found here on our website.
- All documents related to a change of ownership must be filed of record in the county/parish where the property is located.
- Laws of agency preclude us from providing forms for conveying real property interests. However, you may contact an attorney, Legal Aid Society or your local Bar Association for assistance in handling these matters.
- Address changes cannot be handled by telephone.
- Retain your check detail for future reference.
- All payments will continue to be made to the current owner until proper documentation is received. Please add the Owner Number(s) on all correspondence sent to BXP, LTD.
- Original documents will not be returned: please send a COPY (or copies) of the documents requested.
- Submit the appropriate documentation by mail or email to:
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO PROCESS OWNERSHIP CHANGES
Name Change – Personal
- Marriage Copy of marriage certificate
- Divorce Copy of divorce decree reinstating maiden name or prior name, copy of final order/decree showing distribution of assets and copies of any court-mandated conveyance documents
- Legal Name Change Court order evidencing name change
- Appointment of Attorney-In-Fact Copy of power of attorney
- Appointment of Agent or Agency Copy of agency agreement
- Appointment of Legal Guardian Copy of birth certificate or court order designation guardianship
Name Change - Company/Corporate, LLC
- Merger/Name Change Certificate of merger and tax ID number
- LLC Name Change Certificate evidencing name change
Purchase/Sale of Interest
- Purchase of Interest Recorded copy of conveyance evidencing acquisition of property
- Sale of Interest Recorded copy of conveyance evidencing sale of property
- Trust or Partnership is Created Copy of recorded conveyance of interest to the Trustee and/or Trust or Partnership and the Trust or Partnership Agreement
- Change of Trustee - Death Copy of recorded Instrument evidencing death of Trustee and appointment of Successor Trustee and a copy of the Trust Agreement
- Change of Trustee - Resignation Copy of recorded instruments evidencing Trustee resignation, appointment of Successor Trustee and a copy of Trust Agreement
- Change of Trustee - Appointment (Original or Succession) Copy of Trust Agreement or recorded Memorandum of Trust
- Trust or Partnership is Terminated Copy of Dissolution of Trust or copy of Partnership and Conveyance to beneficiary or partners
Death of Co-Owner
- Joint Tenant (with Rights of Survivorship,) Certified copy of Death Certificate of deceased joint tenant
- Tenants by Entirety Certified copy of Death Certificate of deceased joint tenant
- Life Tenant Certified copy of Death Certificate of deceased life tenant, recorded instrument creating the life estate, and names, addresses and tax identification numbers of remaindermen
- Tenant in Common Copies of pertinent "Death of Owner" documents described immediately below for deceased tenant in common
Death of Owner - Owner Died With a Will (testate)
- Probate proceedings are filed in the state in which the property is located and are currently pending Certified copy of Last Will and Testament, certified copy of Order Admitting Will to Probate and certified copy of Letters Testamentary
- Probate proceedings were filed in the state in which property is located and are complete Certified copy of Final Decree, Certificate of Transfer or other documentation evidencing final distribution of property by the court
- Probate proceedings have not been filed Certified copy of Death Certificate, certified copy of the Last Will and Testament, and a copy of a properly executed and recorded Affidavit of Heirship signed or witnessed by an uninterested third party (not a family member)
Death of Owner - Owner Died Without a Will (intestate)
Probate proceedings are filed in the state in which the property is located and are currently pending Certified copy of Death Certificate and a certified copy of Administration Proceedings
- Probate proceedings were filed in the state in which the property is located and are complete Certified copy of Final Decree, Certificate of Transfer or other documentation evidencing final distribution of property by the court through laws of descent and distribution
- Probate proceedings have not been filed Certified copy of Death Certificate and a copy of a property executed and recorded Affidavit of Heirship signed or witnessed by an uninterested third party (not a family member).